Site Reliability Engineer
Concirrus is at the forefront of digital transformation in the specialty and automotive insurance markets.
Our talented team worked closely with the insurance community to create Quest. Quest is our expertly designed, intuitive, cloud-based digital underwriting platform built upon cutting edge technical architecture. Quest helps the insurance market seamlessly combine complex datasets, and using AI and machine learning, the platform analyses the data to provide insights to transform the way that underwriters select and price risk.
We believe that the key to delivering state-of-the-art insurance in today’s connected world is data, and we’re continuously evaluating datasets that will add value to our clients.
Concirrus doesn’t just want to see the insurance market survive, we believe that with the right tools, the industry could thrive. Customers rely on our team to deliver:
- Class leading datasets to enhance their understanding of real-time risk
- Streamlined data analysis and automated processes
- Cutting edge risk models driven by the latest developments in AI and machine learning to deliver greater efficiencies
- Transparent insights into the behaviours that correlate to claims
- The latest innovations in technology to help them succeed
- All delivered through beautifully designed web applications
Our product suite does the heavy lifting so that our clients can focus their expertise on innovative risk management and pricing.
We’re data scientists, innovators, entrepreneurs, designers, developers, and insurance specialists. We’re also guitarists, rally drivers, athletes, art collectors and investors. We’re an astonishingly diverse bunch with shared values and this suits the way we work.
With backing from insurance and deep tech investors, and a passionate and driven team based in London, Singapore, and the US, we’re looking for exceptional people excited by our vision to help us make it happen.
We are currently seeking a Site Reliability Engineer with strong platform development skills, a comprehensive understanding of how to secure environments, and a solid grasp of information security and performance optimization.
The focus of the role will be to build scalable, secure, exceptional infrastructure, automating wherever possible. You will also enable visibility, maintain existing systems and develop new systems in support of business applications. You will need to be a problem solver with the ability to multi-task and collaborate, and the desire to learn new skills and improve.
You will be the link between Infrastructure and Development with a hands-on approach and an excellent coder. You will provide a DevOps capability model that enables rapid continuous integration and deployment of application change and have an oversight and governance of all changes across the environment.
The key accountability of a Site Reliability Engineer is to support the agile development team in their product delivery by building and operating the infrastructure that the product requires in order to operate. It involves following key functions:
- Proactively monitor and review application performance.
- Handle on-call and emergency support.
- Ensure software has good logging and diagnostics.
- Create and maintain operational runbooks.
- Maintain production services through measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Scale systems through automation.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless post-mortems.
- Not be afraid to contribute changes back to the Software engineering team to improve the systems.
- Managing the delivery pipeline into production.
- Troubleshooting issues with web applications.
- Understanding of security principles and best practices.
- Ensuring that critical data is backed up.
- Configuration of monitoring systems, including infrastructure monitoring and Application Performance Monitoring systems, such as New Relic.
- Ensuring that web application infrastructure is built.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you should have a deep knowledge of the application, the code, and how it runs, is configured, and scales.
System Administration, Security and Networking
You should have a good understanding of system administration (Linux or Windows) and networking:
- Essential commands
- Operation of Running Systems
- User and Group Management
- Knowledge of networking concepts (DNS, TCP/IP, and Firewalls)
- Service Configuration
- Storage Management
- Experience understanding virtualization technology
- Good grasp of fundamental Security concepts
Automation and Deployment Technologies
- Good understanding of "infrastructure as code" principles.
- Knowledge of a scripting language such Bash, PowerShell or DSC or similar.
- Ability to configure infrastructure using a Configuration Management technology such as Puppet, Chef or Ansible.
- Be able to create a build and deployment pipeline using an automation server such as Jenkins or Bamboo.
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language such as Python, Ruby, Go or Java.
- Strong experience of container technologies like Docker, and container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes.
- Use Terraform to deploy cloud infrastructure.
- Experience designing available, cost-efficient, fault-tolerant, and scalable distributed systems on AWS.
- Hands-on experience using compute, networking, storage, and database AWS services.
- Hands-on experience with AWS deployment and management services.
- Ability to identify and define technical requirements for an AWS-based application.
- Ability to identify which AWS services meet a given technical requirement.
- Knowledge of recommended best practices for building secure and reliable applications on the AWS platform.
- An understanding of the basic architectural principles of building on the AWS Cloud.
- An understanding of the AWS global infrastructure.
- An understanding of network technologies as they relate to AWS.
- An understanding of security features and tools that AWS provides and how they relate to traditional services.
As well as the opportunity to work on projects that you enjoy in an environment you’ll love, we like to look after our team members at Concirrus. Here are some of our perks…
- Flexible, outcome driven, working environment.
- We pay competitively with regular pay reviews.
- Quarterly employee growth review to encourage personal growth.
- Share option scheme so you get to own a piece of the pie.
- Private medical insurance (including dependents).
- Learning & Development fund for all employees.
- 22 days annual leave (plus public holidays).
- Spacious, modern offices, easily accessible through the Metro.
- Coffee and snacks are all on hand in the office to keep you fuelled.
- Friday FED talks – like TED talks, but you get fed (on us).
- Monthly team drinks, birthday cakes and social events.
- Plus, we’re always on the lookout for creative ways to look after our employees and encourage them to come to us when they have an idea or need.