Senior Data Scientist
Concirrus’ vision is to put advanced analytics in the hands of every insurer. By unlocking the insights held in the vast datasets available to insurers Concirrus can improve risk selection, pricing, and management, ensuring a sustainable future for the sector. Today we have > 20 major customers and these customers outperform the market by > 10% on their combined loss ratio.
We’re a high growth insurtech business with backing from insurance and deep tech investors, and offices in London, Delhi, Singapore, and Boston. We’re data scientists, innovators, entrepreneurs, designers, developers, and insurance specialists. We’re also guitarists, rally drivers, athletes, and art collectors. We’re an astonishingly diverse bunch with shared values and looking for talented individuals excited by our vision and ready for an adventure!
We are currently seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join our expanding London based team.
Developing products that solve real problems for our customers is at the heart of everything we do. And we’re on the hunt for an exceptional Data Scientist to help shape Quest, our dynamic data platform that’s changing the game in commercial insurance.
You will enjoy working in a structured team environment. You will be inquisitive, and detail oriented, with the ability to create deep actionable insights, visualise data and build models for all aspects of our products. You will make use of diverse datasets ranging from commercial insurance to global sensor data gathered by our customers and internal teams. On top of this, you will enjoy interrogating data to understand the best way to clean, merge, and derive maximum insight from the available data feeds.
You’re in your element getting hands-on with various ML algorithms and approaches. You’ve created several predictive models from scratch, from initial concepts through to robust deployments in production, and you’ll have led all phases of Data Science projects.
You possess a deep understanding of all interdependencies, the challenges around data quality and the uncertainties around hypothesis validation. You’re motivated, inquisitive, and understand the potential of this data to the business. You enjoy a challenge and see the bigger picture of what is to be achieved.
This is an exciting and rewarding role requiring a smart, disciplined and experienced Data Scientist who is data savvy with a very good technical background in the application of Machine Learning (ML) and data analytics techniques.
- Work in a multi-disciplined team to deliver projects to an agreed schedule according to the business roadmap.
- Analyse and model structured and unstructured data using advanced statistical methods.
- Perform full modelling projects to create linear and nonlinear models, including: data ingestion, feature creation and selection, cross-validation, hyperparameter tuning and model assessment.
- Implement algorithms and software needed to perform analysis.
- Research and evaluate new approaches to derive benefit from the significant data assets available.
- Collaborate with Product teams to drive new product ideas and increase the value of data science within the product and organisation.
- Degree in Maths or Computer Science or related field.
- Several years professional experience working as a Data/ML Scientist.
- Excellent self-management and prioritisation skills, and proven track record of delivering complex projects to deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with other members of the team as well as communicating with stakeholders in the business and to clients.
- Strong data wrangling and processing skills along with a background in analysis and predictive modelling.
- Extensive experience with supervised classification and regression modelling using linear and nonlinear techniques.
- Knowledge of the full end-to-end modelling lifecycle from feature creation, selection, model-building, hyperparameter optimisation and model assessment.
- Several years Python experience and exposure to other programming languages.
- Strong problem-solving skills and inquisitive mindset.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Big Data.
- Experience using Apache Spark (preferably PySpark).
- Neural network and deep learning (TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch).
- Understanding of Insurance related risk modelling and underwriting processes.
- Track record of working with cluster computing and distributed systems.
- Experience with command-line scripting, data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work in a Linux environment, processing large amounts of data in a cloud environment (AWS, Google Cloud Platform).
- Python and SQL, and preferably exposure to other languages.
- Apache Spark (preferably with PySpark) and Python pandas, numpy, scikit-learn.
- Supervised Learning (Regression, Classification), Unsupervised (Clustering), Dimensionality Reduction, Model Selection and Optimisation, Feature Selection, Metric Selection, Bootstrapping, Ensembling & Stacking Methods.
As well as the opportunity to work on projects that you enjoy in an environment you’ll love, we like to look after our team members at Concirrus. Here are some of our perks…
- Flexible, outcome driven, working environment.
- We pay competitively with regular pay reviews.
- Share option scheme so you get to own a piece of the pie.
- Pension scheme with generously matched contribution.
- Private medical insurance.
- Life insurance.
- Learning & Development fund for all employees.
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays).
- Spacious, modern offices close to Liverpool Street Station.
- Coffee and snacks are all on hand in the office to keep you fuelled.
- Friday FED talks – like TED talks, but you get fed (on us).
- Monthly team drinks, birthday cakes and social events.
- Season Ticket Loan and Cycle2Work schemes, plus seasonal flu vaccinations.
- Plus, we’re always on the lookout for creative ways to look after our employees and encourage them to come to us when they have an idea or need.
- Video interview with either our Data Science Manager or Director
- Case study interview at our Devonshire Square office